DivX decoder problem during iPhone development

I got a strange problem, and unable to play any kind of movies in my iPhone simulator. iPhone just gave a very unhelpful error messages – “The movie could not be played” if I try to play it from internet. Fortunately, if I play the movie locally, I can see some error message from the log :


[Session started at 2008-06-02 11:29:33 -0700.]
2008-06-02 11:29:43.933 TestMP[444:20b] forceGaplessRingtones = NO
2008-06-02 11:29:44.707 TestMP[444:4003] Error loading /Library/QuickTime/DivX Decoder.component/Contents/MacOS/DivX Decoder:  dlopen(/Library/QuickTime/DivX Decoder.component/Contents/MacOS/DivX Decoder, 262): Symbol not found: _SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser
  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/LangAnalysis
  Expected in: /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator2.0.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/SystemConfiguration

It might be caused by DivX decoder that I installed recently. After removing DivX Decoder & Encoder component from /Library/QuickTime, now I can play the movie locally.

But there is still another problem when I tried to play from internet – from my local server; it still won’t play the movies ! .. I tried to download it manually with firefox, and it seems like this is the problem with the mime type. After fixing mime types in the server, voila .. finally I am able to see it running in my iPhone

Tags:

  • Niall Roche

    I have the same problem, I tried with many different video types and codecs h.264 and mpeg. Did you find a solution to this?

  • Niall Roche

    I have the same problem, I tried with many different video types and codecs h.264 and mpeg. Did you find a solution to this?

  • Niall Roche

    I have the same problem, I tried with many different video types and codecs h.264 and mpeg. Did you find a solution to this?

  • http://kusno.mudiarto.com/ kusno mudiarto

    I fixed playing movies problem by :

    1. removing DivX encoder & Decoder from /Library/Quicktime folder
    2. Set the mime type in the server
    3. Make sure the server support the partial content (http 1.1 spec). Apache & Nginx supports this. I know mongrel, webrick (from ruby) doesn’t seem to support this feature.

    2 & 3 applies only if you want to stream from the server.

  • http://kusno.mudiarto.com kusno mudiarto

    I fixed playing movies problem by :

    1. removing DivX encoder & Decoder from /Library/Quicktime folder
    2. Set the mime type in the server
    3. Make sure the server support the partial content (http 1.1 spec). Apache & Nginx supports this. I know mongrel, webrick (from ruby) doesn’t seem to support this feature.

    2 & 3 applies only if you want to stream from the server.

  • Sameer Kellion

    I had the same problem and the fix mentioned above worked for me too… Thanks for posting.

  • Sameer Kellion

    I had the same problem and the fix mentioned above worked for me too… Thanks for posting.

  • Shoaibi

    Thanks, worked like a charm…

  • Shoaibi

    Thanks, worked like a charm…

  • Shoaibi

    Thanks, worked like a charm…

  • Matt MacDonald

    Same fix worked for me too.

  • Matt MacDonald

    Same fix worked for me too.

  • Sudha

    It really helps me lot. Thanks for the post.

  • Sudha

    It really helps me lot. Thanks for the post.